Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Damage Tips From Your Local SERVPRO of Balch Springs
Know the Different Types of Water
When you think of water damage, you think of just water damage, but there are other types of water. The first type is "clean" water from rain, condensation, leaky pipes, and so on. If rain damage occurs and you decide to seek outside help, it would be smart to call your local restoration company for basic water damage cleanup. The third type is black water, such as sewage or serious flooding from nearby rivers, etc. This water contains waste, bacteria and other serious contaminants. Black water can cause very serious health problems, and you shouldn't try to clean it up yourself. It's time to contact the pros for home water damage repair.
Dry Out the Affected Area
It's important to get rid of all moisture ASAP before it causes more damage. And for small leaks, this may not be difficult, but it's important to be thorough. Use fans to circulate air in the affected area. For larger projects, consider renting a large-capacity dehumidifier to really dry out surrounding wood, carpet, and other materials. You don't want any moisture left after your water damage repair.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (469) 998-6444
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.