Keeping Your Home Safe From Fire
Kitchen fires can start small and quickly escalate into a full-blown disaster. Other areas of your home can feel the impact of the fire, and there is also the risk of bodily harm. Knowing what to do in a kitchen fire emergency and how to prevent one from happening ensures that your safety remains a priority. This blog will discuss in detail the importance of kitchen fire safety for your peace of mind.
What Are the Most Common Causes of a Kitchen Fire?
Many factors can cause a flame in the kitchen to become out of control, such as leaving something unattended on the stovetop or grease buildup igniting. Electric appliances in poor conditions can also create fires, such as toaster ovens and microwaves. Cooking oil and other flammable liquids can also pose a fire risk.
How to Put Out a Kitchen Fire
Regardless of the cause, a kitchen fire requires an immediate response.
If you can, you should first unplug or turn off the heat source; this includes the stovetop, oven, or any electrical appliances. Doing so will prevent the fire from spreading to other areas. You can try to smother the fire with a wet towel. Then, consider opening doors and windows to ventilate the space.
Microwave and Oven Fires
If you find yourself face-to-face with flames in your microwave or oven, there are three easy steps you can follow to extinguish them:
1. Turn off the heat source. Doing so will prevent the fire from spreading.
2. Cover the flames with a damp towel or baking soda. This will help to smother the fire and prevent oxygen from reaching it. Let the fire burn out in the enclosed space.
3. Call the fire department if the fire is out of control. It’s always best to err on the side of caution and let the professionals handle it.
Oil or Grease Fires
NEVER throw water on an oil or grease fire!
Putting out an oil or grease fire is not as simple as using water. Using water feeds the fire. The best way to put out an oil or grease fire is to smother it with a lid or a fire blanket. You can use baking soda if neither of these items is available.
Don’t hesitate to call the fire department if the fire is widespread. They can handle large-scale fires if a fire extinguisher isn’t sufficient.